Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Restarting My Career: Be a Chef or Hate Life?

Not too long ago, I gave up my career as an Executive Chef. I became a single parent and tossed it all away to raise my children and fight for them. I went from a comfortable income to a straight up $9.50 an hour job. 

Then, throughout the last few years, I've done whatever I could to make ends meet. I worked slop and drop shitholes that still haunt my nightmares. Took "Chef work" in places where yeah, I put out some amazing food but in some of the most embarrassing places. Where once a .45 fell out of a metal mixing bowl or the stove was held up by a car jack. Yeah. That happened. 

I also dabbled in Electrician work. Spent 4 years learning to become an electrician. Great if I could remember when I dreamt about becoming one. I realized one day that I didn't want to become an electrician, amongst other reasons, I walked away from the idea. Took work as a Dietician/Account Manager and found the idea of helping people eat better, was actually a budget problem not a conscious obligation. People became numbers and those above me just wanted to save an account. That and being sexually assaulted by the director of the facility was enough. Fuck that. Heathcare Services Group was an embarrassment. So if you add it all up, this has been a sucky few years since walking away from the Chef life. 

I didn't realize how much I missed the good life. This path I was on wasn't my calling. Being a Chef was but I had to do what I had to do. 

Now that I'm back at pursuing that career, let's talk about making a come back. It wasn't easy. First 4 days was hell. At 46 though, I'm still fast and on time. I started at a busy restaurant in Sautee as an aspiring Sous Chef. 

Basically a lead Chef position or a head line Chef position under an Executive Chef with a soon to open Sous Chef position. My first two nights weren't too bad. The first day of orientation, Hell. One the first day of orientation, my wife blows the engine on our CX7 Masda. That was a heck of a start at my new job. A good friend though has made sure I am at work every day. Now, there's more to say... To be Continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment