Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Chef Knives for the Home Kitchen

Chef Kaufman's Recommended Knives

High Quality Chef Knives for the Home.

These are basically the knives I would advise buying if you are looking at buying or investing in a set of good high-quality kitchen knives for your home. 

As a working Executive Chef, I depend on a variety of brands to accomplish my daily tasks. So I don't have a singular brand to recommend. Instead, I have a few good quality knives I trust and depend on. 

First, let me tell you what you are looking for in the manufacturer's overall design. If you can match a knife up to these following three standards, you will have an excellent knife, no matter what the brand. 

Three Things a Good Quality Knife Should have.

1. Full Tang Construction
2. Forged not Stamped
3. High Grade Carbon Steel

Ready for Some Advice?

The reasons behind these three things adding up to a quality knife are simple.

Full tang knives, that are made from High Grade High Carbon steel, forged formed not stamped are normally 9 times out of 10 going to demonstrate the needed necessities I need in a good quality knife.

My knife collection shown here demonstrates the variety I use in my daily kitchen chores at work. Some hold a better edge than others, some I rely on for flexibility and hand endurance. Some I admit are in my bag because it's an odd knife, or different, but in the end, it serves a purpose.

I'm a huge fan of wood handled knives, even though in a commercial kitchen, wood handled knives can earn negative points from health inspectors. I feel as long as I can clean and sanitize a knife, wood or synthetic handles are fine in my own home.

*The following knife sets and single knives I am recommended are strictly for use in the home. 


Mercer Cutlery "Genesis" Forged Knife Block Set for the home.

One of the best home kitchen sets I can recommend. I use Mercer knives everyday, and can attest to the edge holding power. 

The Genesis series offers some good quality steel with nice textured handles. The knives retain a good edge, and handle flawlessly. They are perfectly suited to the home kitchen.

They come in a cool glass block display, which shows off the polished steel rather nicely.

$129.00 Price-Tag at Amazon.

J.A. HENCKELS INTERNATIONAL Statement Knife Set

A Well balanced knife set with decent blades and comfortable handles. Full tang design, with nice bolsters. 

Edge is easily maintained, although the supplied sharpening-steel is a little too small for my liking, but that's made up by the steel blades good quality. This is a rather good set of Henckel knives for the price tag/value.

I highly recommend these, budget priced Henckels are always worth scooping up!

Priced below $100

No comments:

Post a Comment