Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Roasted Radish, Butternut Squash and Garlic Clove Recipe


Roasted Vegetable Recipe of Butternut Squash, Radishes, and Garlic.


I tend to go overboard sometimes with how I roast my vegetables. While I love the mainstay peppers and squash roasted together, I have a love for being original and with this recipe you can indulge a little like I do and enjoy a flavorful and colorful dish.

 First, cut and peel 1-2 butternut squashes and cut into 1 inch bite sized pieces.

 Peel or buy pre-peeled garlic cloves, I would say about 2-3 cups worth.

 I used garden variety type radishes in this dish, but the red radishes you find in the salad isle at your local grocery store is fine. 12-16 radishes is perfect.  

Season with 1 cup extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper to taste, garlic powder to taste, and italian herbs. I used a little fresh basil, and fresh oregano, cilantro and some minced red onions to add for flavor. I have done this with chopped leeks, and bell pepper chunks too for a little more robust flavor and colors, but just these three items, garlic, butternut squash and radishes have an incredible flavor on their own.

Toss the vegetables separately from one another, they roast at different time lengths, so you will need three small sheet pans to do this right. Save the unused oil and seasoning mixture between each item you toss. Be liberal with how well they are coated in the seasonings. You want everything well coated and covered with seasoning.

 Heat your oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit, if it has a convection fan, turn it to low. Spread the vegetables evenly on separate sheet pans and place them into the oven. The garlic will finish roasting first, followed by the squash and last the radishes.

Normally I roast the garlic to a deep brown or deep golden color with tinges of darker colors on their edges. I allow the butternut to get slightly, ever so slightly burnt edges as they are very flavorful this way. By saying I allow them to get burnt, I do not mean turn them black, but rather singe their edges a little. The radishes take a little longer, generally I will shake the pan a bit and make sure they roll around a bit so they cook evenly.

I would also suggest doing the same with the garlic and squash. The garlic can become a little chewy if you over cook them, so I would suggest watching them closely and making sure they don’t get too overdone.

 I hope you will enjoy this dish, as it is one of my most wanted recipes. I still get emails from earlier customers who would kill to know how I do it.

 Thanks!
 Chef Jeffrey Kaufman

No comments:

Post a Comment